Thursday, October 20, 2011

Super (cool!) Mommy

You know those pictures where moms are having a great time with their kids and the kids look peaceful and attentive and full of joy to be hanging out with their super awesome mom who can do such amazing things that the kids are just feeling SO lucky to just BE in her presence?

You know...these pictures?


Yeah.  I wanted to be *that* mom.  I tend to err on the side of strict, but I really do like to do fun, cool things with my kids.  But every time I try, it looks like this:


*sigh*  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  But I had a fool-proof cool mom plan today.  I was going to make GAK.  Oh yes.  I found the secret fomula to make that wonderful slimy mass of entertainment.  And really, what's cooler than Gak?  Other than making it yourself at home.  So I gathered my materials.  A bottle of glue and some borax.  Ooooh the boys were going to have so much fun!  Matthew was sleeping and Eric was on the computer playing educational games.  He passed by me once and saw me dumping a bottle of glue in a bowl, but didn't say a word.  I was glad he didn't take a lot of interest, because I wanted him to be surprised!  My excitement grew as I watched the gak form (as if I thought it wouldn't).  I am SUCH a cool mom!  I even made it green - their favorite color.  As I continued kneading it to get it the right consistency, I had visions of birthday parties where every kid could make their own gak and take it home.  Because that's cool.  When it was all ready, I called for Eric.

Me:  Eric!  Come here!
Eric:  What?
Me:  Come here!  I have something for you!
Eric:  *peeps through entryway* What is it?
Me:  Come touch it.  It's cool!
Eric:  No.  It's glue.
Me:  It's not glue.  Come feel it.  It's  fun.
Eric:  No.  It's sticky.
Me:  *getting frustrated at his lack of enthusiasm*  Well I will just save it for Matthew.  He will like it.
Eric:  Why will he like it?  What is it?
Me:  It's gak.
Eric:  I know.  But what is it?
Me:  *sigh*
Eric:  *returns to computer game without ever having entered the kitchen*

Parents think having a smart kid is fun.  You have no idea, people.  All I want to do is amaze me children with some glue and borax and all the boy wants to do is click on the ssssss sound on the computer.  I can make GAK for crying out loud!  My children should be at my feet, staring up at the wonder that is their mother!  *sigh* Mother fail again.  I'm second guessing trying to impress them with my 'cloud sand', but I'll probably do it all the same just so I can play with it.  Matthew hasn't seen the gak yet.  Maybe I will have better luck with him.  But I will have to sit and watch him with it and I couldn't moan and whine on here AND watch him at the same time.

For the others of you that want to attempt "cool mom" status, here is the recipe for gak.  Let me know what your kids think!

1 teaspoon borax powder
1 1/2 C water, divided
4 oz (1/2 C)  Elmer’s glue, clear or white
food coloring
Add borax powder to 1 cup of water and stir to dissolve.  Set aside.  Pour glue into a medium mixing bowl and add 1/2 C water. Add a few drops of food coloring until desired color is reached and then stir to mix glue solution until smooth.  Pour the borax mixture into the glue mixture and watch the solids start to form.  Stir for a few moments and then use your hands to gather the mass.  The mixture will be very soft and wet.  Keep kneading until it firms up and feels dry.  Discard excess liquid in bowl. The more you knead and play with the slime the firmer it will become.  Store in a ziplock bag or air tight container and the slime will keep indefinitely.
 
I found it here at THIS BLOG which I found on Pinterest, which has tons of cool ideas that I am trying to employ every day.  If you decide to get on Pinterest and find cool ideas of your own, link to me so I can follow you!

No comments:

Post a Comment