Thursday, January 8, 2009

Can I Take This Moment?


...to complain about the STUPIDITY of this course I am taking?!?!  I am trying to be ever-so-patient, but I really really really hate school.  I thought i could fly by since it was a work at your own pace course, but it's taking much more effort and concentration than I had anticipated.  Mainly because you have to earn your PhD before becoming a transcriptionist apparently.  I've dealt with the fact that I have to know all these medical terms, but having to learn how all the body parts work is a little absurd.  I don't care.  I'm not treating anybody.  I'm typing up the paperwork.  I don't care what your disease means, or how it affects your body.  That's not my job to know. I just have to know how to spell it.  I don't even care where your liver is located or how the kidneys function.  The liver is in there somewhere, the doctor will find it, and if your kidneys don't work, that's the doctor's job to fix them  Not mine. 
As if learning everything doctors have to know is not enough, I apparently have to be quizzed on guessing what is wrong with the patient when they go in to be seen.  Say what?!?!  I have to know the diagnosis?!  ARGH!!!!!!!  Just when I thought I had reached the full level of stupidity in my quest to learn how to TYPE A MEDICAL DOCUMENT, I get this on the quiz:
A patient has repeated attacks of lower back pain after eating sesame seed bagels.  Her doctor suspects diverticulitis.  What x-ray procedure with a contrast material would help make the diagnosis?
Listen.  If I'm your doctor, and you come in and say your back hurts when you're eating sesame seed bagels GUESS what I'm going to tell  you?!?!  STOP EATING SESAME SEED BAGELS!!!  We don't need to do a test.  Here's the test - refrain from your love of sesame seeds and see me in a week!  OH yeah - that'll be $300.....and an extra $200 to type up the report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment