Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Golden Birthday



It's nobody's birthday, (ok - it's SOMEBODY'S birthday - but I'm not writing about that person today).  But I just discovered this concept of a Golden Birthday.  Has anyone else ever heard of that?  When I read a blog about a parent celebrating her daughter's "golden birthday"  I had no idea what she was talking about.  Did birthdays follow some sort of gift pattern like anniversaries?  It turns out, (for those of you who are clueless like me) that a Golden Birthday is one in which you turn the same age as the date of your birth.  Therefore, my Golden Birthday was the year I turned 7.  I'm still not sure I get the significance or specialty of it all.  And according to "tradition" there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the way you would celebrate such a birthday.  It still seems like a fun thing to say that it's your Golden Birthday though.  And even though I don't totally get it, it would still be fun to make a big deal out of the boys' Golden Birthdays.  However, it just so happens that their Golden Birthdays fall on significant milestone birthdays anyway.  Matthew's Golden Birthday would be when he turns 5.  A full fledge child.  No more baby.  :(  Of course this is not as big a milestone birthday as Eric's Golden Birthday which is 18.  Have any of you celebrated this birthday in a special way?  Tell me about it!

3 comments:

  1. Wait, does it go by the number of month, day, or year? If month, it would have been my 7th, day, my 5th, or if it's by year, then I have to wait til I'm 80. You're not alone, I've never heard of this before either...not sure what the big deal is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...I just really don't know where you kids were while I was talking when you were growing up. ;) I talked about you all having 'golden birthdays'. Don't know how it started, there is no special traditions that go along with it. I just remember my grandmother mentioning it to me also when I was little (mine being 10). Josh is 4 1/2 yrs from his. I think it is just supposed to be fun trivia.

    ReplyDelete